Scrivener is a tool for writers of any kind, from novelists to translators. Instead of just writing in the traditional linear way most word processors are designed for, Scrivener makes the whole process as simple and organic as you always wished it would be. You don’t have to place every single piece of text in the specific order it will be when your work is finished. Instead, you can just write in any order, composing different sections as they come to you.
You can use it for projects of any size, but its features make it especially useful for long projects that take weeks and even months to finish, those where you are not completely sure where everything goes until you are almost done. You’ll be able to rearrange chapters with a simple drag-and-drop action, view your research as you write or just verify changes by comparing different versions of your manuscript.
Scrivener Main features
- You can plan out the outline of your work before you start writing. It doesn’t matter if you change your mind half way through; it’s not difficult to restructure your document.
- Just like a word processor. Once you start using it you’ll feel right at home, you can do everything you did with your old word processor and more.
- Navigate with ease. Add icons to your document’s sections so you can locate them when looking at the outline.
- Focus on the writing. It comes with ready-to-use tools that will take your worries out of the formatting and into the writing, where it should be. There are templates for different styles of writing, from fiction to non-fiction.
- Use only what you need. Scrivener’s user interface is fully customizable. Everything from the color of the font, the screen mode or the tools that are visible, you can set the environment to show only what you really need.
- Never overwrite a section by accident again. You can take a snapshot of your work as it is before starting a revision. Then, you can go back to the old version or check both side by side to verify the changes.
- They have just released the Mac version.
- It doesn’t matter if you want to work on a one piece, long document or if you want to divide it into more manageable small pieces. Scrivener lets you do both, whichever works best for you.
- Formatting your document is really easy. You can use the included options that combine font size and appearance changes with one single click or you can save a customized formatting option to be used later in other projects.
- Scrivener comes with a corkboard where you can work on your main ideas and shuffle them around. Every section is attached to a card, so when you rearrange the flash cards you’re also changing the order of the sections in your document.
- You can keep track of your progress by setting a target number of words or characters. You’ll see in real time how close you are to fulfilling those goals.
- Although it’s a paid program, the prices are really low when you take into consideration all that it offers. It comes with a 30-day money back guarantee and, unlike any other piece of software out there, those days are not continuous calendar days. They only count the days you actually use the app.
- You have to pay separately for the iOS app. If you buy the Mac version and want to sync your work between devices, you’ll have to pay an extra USD 19.99.
- Works well for solo projects but if you’re collaborating with someone else it will be tricky to keep up with everyone’s changes and annotations.
Scrivener – The Bottom Line
It was created by a group of writers and they took into consideration all the aspects of the creative process. They built it with fellow writers in mind. Writers have specific needs, especially those who work in long projects. For the average user a standard word processing program will do the trick, but writers need to look into their research as they’re working or maybe jump from a chapter to another because inspiration hit and they just have to write down this amazing idea before they lose it. That’s not an easy task when working on a linear document.
Scrivener comes with of lots of amazing features. For example, you can import images or even videos and change the format of your exported document to fit your editor’s requirements without affecting your original draft. As writing tools go, this is a really good one. It has Windows, Mac and iOS versions so it doesn’t matter what kind of device you have you’ll be able to use it.
If you’re a serious writer you should check it out, you’ll be amazed at what it can do. Plus as usual we have lined up a better deal for you.
Scrivener Deal [ALERT]
Don't pay full price for your copy of Scrivener. Click the button below for more details on a VALID working coupon code for Scrivener.